A diesel engine is a heavy-duty machine that requires regular maintenance and upkeep to run smoothly. It needs the suitable diesel fuel additives to keep it running at its best and prevent problems. This blog post will discuss what you need to know about the best diesel fuel additives for your vehicle’s engine!
Top 7 best diesel fuel additive
1. Hot Shot’s Secret Diesel Extreme
Hot Shot’s Secret is a good option for any diesel owner looking for an extra boost of power or increased mileage. It can even increase your vehicle’s life by keeping vital engine parts clean! It works in all types of diesel engines and is compatible with biodiesel blends up to B20.
The best part? It cleans injectors, lubricates fuel pumps and injectors, raises cetane by two numbers for better combustion, and reduces soot production! This product has everything you could ask for: power, efficiency, and protection.
Implementing Hot Shot’s Secret into your vehicle’s maintenance routine will help save money long-term and make the engine last longer between oil changes! The formula was designed after years of analysis from some of the top minds in chemistry at a research facility that specializes in additive technology & development.
They took the best components from other additives and engineered them into this one powerful formula. It is genuinely the most well-rounded diesel additive product on the market today!
Pros of Using Hot Shot’s Secret Diesel Extreme
- Safe yet powerful formula
- Improves fuel economy and power output
- Lubricates injectors, turbos, valves, and EGR systems to minimize wear
- Not for use in older engines
- May cause problems with smog tests of OBD monitors
2. STA-BIL Diesel Fuel Stabilizer
You’ve probably heard about it before – STA-BIL is the number one brand of fuel stabilizer, and for a good reason. The company has been around since 1947, after all, so they know a thing or two about keeping your engine running smoothly!
This addictive diesel fuel additive was created by a truck driver who saw the need for better diesel engine maintenance after getting stranded on his route. He came up with a practical solution that has since been improved upon and is now found in most gas stations across America!
This is one of the best diesel additives to use if you live anywhere where it gets cold or has long winters. Cold weather can be brutal on any vehicle’s lubricants, so adding STA-BIL to your tank will keep them fresh throughout the winter months.
Another great reason to add this additive into your tank before heading out on a road trip? It reduces harmful emissions! Not only does this make sure every gallon of diesel goes as far as possible, but it also cuts down on toxic fumes.
This diesel fuel additive is designed to work with any diesel engine, which means that you can use it at home or on the job. Make sure your whole family stays safe this winter by adding STA-BIL into every tank!
Pros of using STA-BIL Diesel Fuel Stabilizer
- It helps keep your engine running smoother and reduces stress on the engine.
- It prevents damage to fuel system compone nts like injectors, pumps, and valves by keeping them lubricated and free of corrosion if you don’t use it for a long time.
- It makes your engine run cleaner by reducing carbon build-up.
- It may not be compatible with all diesel engines.
- It will not prevent water contamination of the fuel, which is why you should always use a product like HEET to treat it before storage, or else your engine may get corroded or damaged by rust and corrosion.
Another fuel treatment product to consider is the Lucas 10013 Fuel Treatment. This fuel additive is designed to clean diesel fuel injectors, remove water and debris, de-gum fuel pumps and carburetors, and clean the entire contaminating system.
It is designed for diesel engines, including cars, trucks, buses, or home generators. This product will help keep your engine running smoothly but also helps improve gas mileage with its advanced formula containing ultra-low sulfur oil, which increases lubricity. The Lucas 10013 Fuel Treatment comes highly recommended by professional mechanics worldwide who have used this product for many years on their vehicles without any issues. It has an application rate of two ounces per fifty gallons of diesel fuel; however, most users tend to use a little more than that as a preventative measure if they feel there may be some build up in the fuel system, such as if they just put a new set of injectors or filtration system.
Pros of using Lucas 10013 Fuel Treatment
- It improves fuel economy and boosts power output.
- It’s safe to use on all types of diesel engines, including those with standard rail pumps. It keeps the engine running smoothly for a more extended period than other additives do. It helps fight harmful sludge and corrosion, thereby increasing the life of a diesel engine.
- It’s easy to use – all you have to do is tank up with Lucas 10013 Fuel Treatment as per the manufacturer’s instructions on the label. It comes in an affordable price range for those who want great value for their money without having to make compromises on quality or performance.
Cons of using Lucas 10013 Fuel Treatment
- Some people find the smell of this additive to be a bit discomforting.
This is used in trucks running on diesel all over the world. It is made of high-quality ingredients which are safe to use and do not cause any damage to your truck’s engine. This fuel additive extends the life of equipment, prevents corrosion, cleans internal parts, reduces heat buildup, and lowers emissions giving you more savings during every trip.
This product has been tested by government agencies worldwide, including the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), making it a trusted brand among users. This product is available in different sizes, including bulk, so you can buy according to your need.
Lastly, this product is easy to use and does not take a lot of time. You need to add the right amount in your tank before fueling up your vehicle or equipment, and it will start working.
Pros of Howes Diesel Treat
- It comes with a money-back guarantee, which means if the user is not satisfied with its use, they will be able to return it within 30 days to get all their money back without any questions asked.
- Convenient to use. It does not require any specific storage or pre-treatments before it is used in the fuel tank. You can pour this into your diesel engine and start using it in no time!
- It is available at affordable prices, making it an ideal choice for you if you are looking for a good quality product but don’t want to spend much money on its purchase.
Cons of Howes Diesel Treatments
- When you use Howes Fuel additive, it will make your fuel lines brittle. This can cause fuel leaks and clogs in the line. These problems are expensive to fix after they have happened, so prevention is key with this product.
- They also do not always work on older engines that need an injection pump or overhaul because of wear and tear issues.
- Another issue with this product is that it coats the inside of your fuel tank. This reduces the ability to filter out water and other debris in the gasoline you use.
- It can also cause clogs in filters which will increase pressure on top of how much they already cost you per gallon for diesel or gas- extremely expensive when these problems occur / You should install a new filter if one does give way because cheaper than fixing an engine problem caused by Howes additives.
5. Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost
Also on this list is a product by Power Service. This diesel additive is designed to clean your fuel system and injectors. It helps give you more miles per tank of gas, reduce smoke from the exhaust, which means less wear on your engine. If you’re looking for a product that will clean your engine, this is the one to get. It’s also pretty affordable.
Another thing to note is that you can use it as often as every fill-up. If you think your diesel engine is running rough and not getting the fuel economy as it should, this product might be able to help.
Cetane Boost Not only does Cetane boost increase cetane for better combustion but also has a cleaning agent, which helps clean injectors and other parts of the engine system. This will improve performance without having to switch fuels or completely change what you’re using now. It’s another affordable solution that could potentially lead to significant gains if used correctly.
Pros of using Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost
- Keeps fuel system clean, reduces engine noise and pressure – Increases horsepower
- Reduces emissions.
Cons of using Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost
- It can cause your vehicle to have black smoke when you start it up. This is because the additive needs time for clumping and settling down in the tank before beginning use.
- It also causes staining around gas tanks if not rinsed out properly after using this product each time mentioned above under pros of power service diesel Kleen cetane boost fuel additives.
6. LIQUI MOLY Super Diesel Additive
This additive is designed to clean and lubricate your diesel engine. It prevents corrosion, increases the performance of fuel injection systems, and protects against carbon build-up. You can use it in any diesel, even biodiesel (B100) or straight vegetable oil (SVO). It is a high-performance gasoline additive too!
LIQUI MOLY’s Super Diesel Additive is a multifunctional lubricant used in all types of diesel engines. It prevents corrosion, increases the efficiency of fuel injection systems, and protects against carbon build-up. You can use it with biodiesel or straight vegetable oil too! This additive also works well for gasoline engines.
Pros of using LIQUI MOLY Super Diesel Additive
- It can clean the entire system of the diesel engine and restore its performance
- It can help to prevent several problems like corrosion, clogging, and sticking valves.
- It is made up of chemicals that are used in other automotive components or fuels.
- It is very cost-effective.
Cons of using LIQUI MOLY Super Diesel Additive
- There are no cons to this product. It works well, and the users are satisfied with its performance.
7. Opti-Lube Ag Formula Diesel Fuel Additive
Last on the list of the best diesel fuel additives is Opti-Lube Ag Formula Diesel Fuel Additive.
Opti-lube adds lubricity to the fuel by increasing the cetane rating of your diesel engine’s fuel and can be used in all types of diesel engines, including those that operate on biodiesel fuels. This additive has been independently tested for use with any percentage of biofuel content – from 0% up to 100%. It also reduces soot emissions significantly. The product claims a 99% reduction in smoke opacity which helps keep you out of trouble with emission laws and save gas! You’ll see a significant improvement by adding this product to your tank every time you fill up at the pump because it keeps your entire system clean from fuel injectors and combustion chamber to the exhaust system.
This product is designed for use with all diesel engines, including those that run on biodiesel fuels of any percentage – from 0% up to 100%. It also claims a 99% reduction in smoke opacity which helps keep you out of trouble with emission laws and save gas! You’ll see a significant improvement by adding this product to your tank every time you fill up at the pump because it keeps your entire system clean from fuel injectors and combustion chamber to the exhaust system.
Pros of using Opti-Lube Ag Formula Diesel Fuel Additive
- Extends up to 50% of the life of fuel injectors, intake valves, and turbocharger components.
- Restores lost power in older engines with dirty or worn-out parts. You can expect an improvement of approximately 14 percent for your engine’s horsepower rating when using Opti Lube Ag Formula Fuel Additive on newer vehicles. If you go back 20 years ago, that number jumps to 18 percent! That is a substantial difference if you are looking at it from an investment standpoint alone. According to studies conducted during previous tests, increased performance peaked after six months following this product, meaning more money was saved over time than what was spent initially buying the additive itself.
- Prevents carbon deposits which will increase performance and fuel efficiency.
- Reduces soot emissions by up to 33 percent, improving air quality in your engine compartment as well as the environment surrounding it due to reduced pollution. With all of that being said, this is what you are looking for if you are searching for a product that can improve both power output and fuel efficiency while also cleaning out old built-up gunk from your engine’s vital components leading to prolonged life! However, there is more.
Cons of using Opti-Lube Ag Formula Diesel Fuel Additive*
- Expect an improvement of 14% horsepower rating when used on newer vehicles after the first six months following use compared with 18%.
Why Use Diesel Fuel Additives??
Diesel fuel additives help to keep your engine running smoothly for many reasons. Some diesel fuels are not refined and can cause problems in the long term if they don’t have any other additive mixed with them. Suppose you use biodiesel or blends that contain recycled vegetable oil. In that case, it is also necessary to add an additive from time to time because these types of fuel often contain gums and residues, which build up over time, causing issues such as poor acceleration and sluggish performance.
When should I use diesel fuel additives?
It would help if you used a diesel fuel additive at every fill-up. Most newer engines will not need any additives if you use ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) because the lack of contaminants makes it possible for this type of fuel to burn cleaner and more efficiently without anything else added in. However, many older vehicles still require a good quality diesel treatment from time to time, especially if they have been burning non-ULSD or biodiesel, which can cause problems over time due to their higher content of impurities.
What Type Of Diesels Need Additives?
Although most modern-day cars that run on either ULSD or E85 won’t need any additives, other types, such as biodiesel and regular diesel, need regular treatment with additives.
Can fuel additives damage your engine?
No, diesel fuel additives do not damage your engine. They help to protect and maintain the health of your vehicle’s motor by removing harmful impurities that can cause corrosion and other problems over time if left untreated.
What is the cetane rating on diesel fuel?
This is the measure of how well your diesel fuel will ignite. Generally, higher cetane rates are better because they allow for easier ignition and reduce any waiting periods required when starting up in cold weather conditions or climates with a lot of humidity.
What is the difference between ultratreme diesel fuel additives and other types?
There are many different types of additives on the market today, making it difficult to choose one over another. You need to keep in mind, though, that some companies offer very high-quality products with impressive results as opposed to others who manufacture generic type products that lack effectiveness and reliability, especially if their claims don’t match up with the results you see on your vehicle.
Things to Consider when choosing the suitable fuel additive
Among the several diesel additives, you should consider a few things before choosing one for your engine. When in doubt about which fuel additive to choose from the many that are currently available on the market, it’s essential to consider the following:
Fuel Additive Compatibility with your engine
There are hundreds of diesel additives available today that claim they can give you excellent results without causing any damage or harm to your vehicle. Some of these products may work for a while, but most aren’t compatible with all types and models of engines. It is best if you consult an expert before choosing one so as not to cause more problems than what you had initially dealt with in the first place.
Diesel Fuel Quality
Another factor that must never be overlooked when choosing a fuel additive is how good the quality of diesel used in your tank currently is. Although many people think that using low-quality fuels won’t affect their vehicles, this isn’t exactly true.
A bad quality diesel can cause damage to your engine over time, and that is why you should only use the best type of fuel when filling up at a gas station to avoid problems later on.
Fuel Additive Amount
The amount of the fuel additive you choose must be enough to make an impact, but not too much that it becomes useless. Make sure that the package recommends at least two gallons for optimum results before trying anything else. If your tank requires less than this, then obviously, use as little as possible without compromising on quality or standards.
It is also important to note that even though some products are advertised as compatible with all diesel engines and can function well in any conditions, they might still have certain limitations when used under specific circumstances, so keep yourself updated about these factors before choosing one over another.
With these points in mind, selecting a good-quality product will ensure better engine performance while extending its lifespan by preventing damage or breakdowns.
Diesel additives are an excellent solution for those who want to keep their engine running smoothly.
These additives are an easy fix, and they can help reduce the amount of harmful emissions that your truck or car emits into the atmosphere. Diesel fuel is very combustible, so it’s vital to get rid of any impurities before you put it in your tank! That being said, diesel fuel isn’t nearly as clean-burning as gasoline, which means more harmful emissions are released when you use diesel instead. So if you care about preserving our planet Earth, then adding a good quality oil additive seems like a logical choice because this will have no negative impact on air quality and go towards protecting environmental surroundings while improving performance at the same time.
Ultimately, it’s up to you whether or not you want to use diesel fuel additives in your car or truck – but the final choice is yours!